Sunday, November 13, 2011

A Few Miles Down the Road...


This was once Kaw land, as far as the eye could see in any direction.


Winter on the prairie.


Muddy horses. Beautiful.


Steak on the hoof.


This little stream was full of water cress, a sure sign of spring water. I do not know the purpose of this limestone structure. It is one of the largest limestone ruins I have ever come across. As I was taking photos, the incessant Kansas wind thrumming new electrical lines overhead caused a mighty lonesome feeling, a melancholy in my spirit. I left right away.


This limestone ruin was very similar to the first. If this was once a house, it was situated on a long stretch of tableland. The wind howls unimpeded all the way from the Arctic in the winter. I cannot imagine ever being warm within these stone walls.

No comments: