Thursday, August 4, 2011

Another Creature of the Flint Hills


Adult Collard Lizard image c Suzanne L. Collins

Coming home last night, a quick scurrying across the dusty road caught my attention. It was a lizard. He had a bluish cast to his skin and he froze at the edge of the road as my truck roared past. In the left mirror, I could easily distinguish his blue skin from the rocks at the edge of the road, so I backed the truck quietly until I was beside him. He is the first lizard I have seen in this area. We passed a pleasant moment in mutual observation and then I took my leave.

It always makes me happy to see another creature in my neighborhood. I wished my camera had been available. Though this is a common lizard, it was the first time I had seen one in all the years I have lived in the Shawnee, Osage and Wabaunsee county area. I hope I see one again sometime.

No comments: