Monday, January 2, 2012

Beginning the Final Year


Trumpeter Swans in Wabaunsee County 1-2-2012

The Mayan long count calendar ends on the winter solstice of this new year. Everyone has heard this information and many speculate the world will end on that day. Everything eventually comes to some manner of conclusion but unless human beings succeed in dealing a death blow to the earth with weapons of mass destruction, the world will still be in existence on December 22, 2012. It is a bit worrisome to learn that Iran is threatening the West with blocking the Strait of Hormuz. The United States of Corporations has gone to war over far less provocation. I do not think we are going to escape our collective karma as easily as the world coming to an end. The human species owes a infinite number of amends.

When I finally ventured forth into this brand new year, I came across a wonderful surprise: five swans in a small farm pond just down the road. I had never seen swans in the wild in my entire life. I backed my car up a quarter of a mile when I realized my camera was in the car.


A bevy of swans.

The birds effortlessly explored the small waters, continually making companionable noises. I do not understand why some human beings fail to recognize that animals enjoy their lives on this planet as thoroughly as we do. The only wild swans I had ever heard of were trumpeter swans and, as far as I knew, they had been hunted almost to extinction. A quick google search proved that trumpeter swans have been sighted in over half of Kansas counties in recent times. Great news, and what a way to start the year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grace.
According to Jamie Sams' Animal Cards, Swan ushers in "a time of altered states of awareness and development of your intuitive abilities."

What a great way to begin a new year!

Unknown said...

Latest info says the Mayan Calendar long count actually ended a year early: on October 28, 2011. So no worries! Enjoy the swans, gratis.