Sunday, October 20, 2013

White Birds Friday, White Birds Saturday

Cattle Egret feeding in a pasture east of Buffalo Mound.



Pelicans in Flight
 
 
Coming home from work Friday, a pasture of feeding white birds caught my eye from I-70. I thought they were cattle egret. The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds Eastern Region confirms my best guess.

I photographed the pelicans Saturday afternoon, just east of my house. This flock appeared and disappeared, ciricling in the clear sky. It was remarkable the way they vanished from sight then reappeared as they were circling, rising, and sorting themselves into flight formation.  I wonder if their feathers reflect the blue sky at a certain angle.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love pelicans. They seem to appear in my life as messengers at special times -- challenging or uplifting. I too have noticed the way they seem to vanish as they wheel in circles high in the sky, then reappear. To me they are spirit birds and I always feel gifted when I see them.

Don said...

Did those pelicans follow you home? I whizzed by Buffalo Mound today and didn't see any birds. Almost stopped by a state trooper down the road and asked him, then had second thoughts about that as he appeared busy adjusting his "picture taker" (LOL) on the roadway.

Great shots of those migrating egrets too.