Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Off Is the General Direction...

It is unbelievable how quickly time passes. I have been writing this blog for five years and six months. After a review over the weekend, I realize I am repeating myself. I think I have nothing new to say - even about nothing. Right on schedule, the Statesboro Blues arrive. All the things I have not accomplished, all the people who are gone, and all the people who failed to show up... This is why God put Gregg Allman on this earth: to sing the blues for people like me. Not sad and depressed blues - but big ol' mean Southern fried blues. Blues with a gun rack in the back window. Blues leaking Harley oil and highway miles...

This warrants a trip to the barn for some quality horse person time! As someone once said, "The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a (wo)man."

Wally is a funny horse. He does not have a sense of humor the way Annie did, but he is smart, in a goofy way that makes me laugh. Last year for Christmas I got oat buckets for the horses. I loosely tied the buckets to the fence so they would not be knocked down, and so I could easily empty rain and snow out of them. Wally flips his bucket up with his nose to make a big noise I can hear from the house. If he thinks it is time to eat, I hear him banging the bucket on the fence.

The other day I apparently put his bucket too close to Ginger's enormously large personal space. Using his teeth, Wally matter of factly pulled his bucket over as far as it would go. He is such a supple and flexible horse, tossing his head and neck around all the time. He tries to boss Ginger around by tossing his head and pointing his nose in the direction he thinks she should go. Just like a human extends an arm and waves someone on, Wally clearly indicates his frustration with her bossiness. Now he uses this gesture toward me, too. He wants to be left alone when he is eating his oats, so he tosses his nose in the direction of the house. There is a Facebook meme that fits his attitude perfectly: "Off is the general direction in which I wish you would f**k." Now Ginger uses this sign language, too. If she does not want me to bother her, she tosses her nose in the general direction in which she wishes I would go. I get no respect.


Can you spot Ginger and Wally in this photo? They really should treat me with far more respect. They have a rather easy life, after all!

2 comments:

Don said...

They're right above barbed-wire fence post number 7, counting along the left-side of the roadway. And the "number" seven is significant depending on who and what you want to believe.

Jackie said...

Seven is always a good number.