Monday, March 1, 2021

Crows

It is hard to realize just how large crows are until you are within a few feet of them.  They are far larger than chickens and much more intelligent.  I love hearing them, though theirs is not a musical calling.  Documentaries proving their amazing intelligence impress me.  I realized long ago that I had never seen a dead crow on the road.  They are smart to fly away from the traffic.  It warmed my heart to read a scientific article explaining their family groups and their social lives - that the young adults stay with their parents to help raise the youngsters for a year or two.   

I was in a MacDonald's parking lot enjoying my senior coffee (75 cents, thank you so much) when a small flock of crows landed in the parking space next to me.  I scrounged to find some treat for them.  I carry a baggie of dog food for instant reward for good puppy behavior but there were only a few pieces left.  I scattered the kibble out the window and, though they were all quick to try for a piece, there was no squabbling or fighting.  I wished I had more so they each could have had some.  

One of the crows had a broken leg permanently turned all the way inward.  The crow seemed comfortable and capable despite this awful handicap.  Another was missing most of its beak.  How in the world did that happen, I wondered.  I was shocked to see the rough condition of the little flock.  I suppose city crows run afoul of humans and their unnatural technology all the time.  Maybe, because they live in extended familial groups, injured members can survive at a higher rate than other birds who do not live in such groups. 

There are many crows in Manhattan, Kansas.  I see them everywhere diligently searching for food.  How can birds their size possibly find enough to eat in the winter months?  It is a mystery to me.   

The wild crows that visit my property never come into the yard, even though it is several acres.  They fly over my house and they visit along the creek.  I hear them above the pasture, but they are never close enough for me to see if they have damaged members in their flock.  I would love to feed them but I think they are better off making their own living far away from human beings.  

Photo: Paul Powers/Great Backyard Bird Count
Follow this Audubon link for more information
American Crow Audubon Page

I have never seen baby American Crows before!  

This photo is from a blog page on the Slater Museum of Natural History, Washington State.  It is one in a series of photos of a nest over about a month's time.  Something you are not likely to observe for yourself! 

Follow this link to the:   Slater Musuem of Natural History

5 comments:

Don said...

When I was a kid, one of the neighborhood friends had a obtained a crow at a very young age and trained it. It was extremely smart as we would throw silver quarters and half dollars on the ground and the crow would retrieve them. Great entertainment for a couple of boys that had no idea what an iPhone or any of the other contraption would replace the simple pleasures of different era.

Jackie said...

I think a crow would be a remarkable pet! They are so much larger up close than you think they are! How much fun it would be to play with a tame crow. What ever happened to it? Do you know?

Don said...

No, I can't recall as that was during the 1950's in South Brooklyn, a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio. I did have some cousins in Sugarcreek, Ohio that also had a pet crow and they claimed you could split the tongue of a crow and teach it to talk. Whether they ever accomplished that I don't know. I am going to assume that these pet crows were eventually released although the kids that had the pet crow also had an American Sparrow Hawk. That stayed in a very large cage and was tamed. That family went a vacation and I fed and watered that hawk for a week. I don't know how they obtained the hawk, but the crow I know was found in the neighborhood when it was very young and could barely fly.

Jackie said...

Don... The link to your wonderful photos was broken last time I checked the link I keep on my blog, so I removed it. But I would love to have a link to your photos, if it's okay with you. I tried to email you but it was sent back. You can reach me at oldharleygurl@gmail.com Hope all is well with you and yours!

Unknown said...

I had no idea they were smart, but you are right about them being so big. I'l try to watch them the next time I'm around them.