Saturday, September 4, 2021

As We Say In Kansas.....Welp!

There is a wonderful little piece of magic that exists in the tiny remnants of a village known as Volland. It is a lingering dash of white settler history beside the railroad track in Wabaunsee County. The old  brick general store building was saved, restored and repurposed. 

The Volland Store now offers a variety of activities - art shows, poetry reading, and activities like learning the function and history of such things as root cellars and big barns, then touring various locations.   I have purchased locally harvested honey and hand-made soap there.  It is a fine building, reimagined for the twenty-first century, located in a beautiful little hollow in the emerald green of the Kansas Flint Hills. 

While checking the Volland Store website to see what might be happening, I discovered a mystery called NuPenny.  People were invited to: "Bring your lawn chair and a picnic – Visit with neighbors and make new friends as you wait for sunset. Watch NuPenny emerge as light fades and darkness falls." 

I was intrigued! What did this mysterious contraption do? Play fantastical music? Offer a cosmic light show? I HAD to go see it for myself. 

Soooooooooooo...

I dragged my neighbor here...

 

to see this.


 but NuPenny does only this.


Of course, the whole point was to be there for this - a lovely Kansas sunset, which both of us see every single evening - she from her horse barn and me from my front porch.

                                              WELP!


(The Volland Store  follow this link for more information.)

3 comments:

Mokasha said...

What's up Doc? I have been there a couple of times. Last time was to see
the Charro/Vaquero horsemanship program. Nice drive and great food. They had the food truck
from Wamego there. L&L Mokasha

Unknown said...

I read your blog and it was an EXCELLENT read. I had never heard of Volland. Where exactly is it? I am interested in the NuPenny reference and will have to follow that up. But I have two questions. What is Welp? And what is the NuPenny thing you drug your friend there to see? It definitely caught my attention. Loved the pics too.

Jackie said...

"Welp" is just something people say, usually signaling acceptance of something that simply can't be helped - i.e.... The store is closed and we can't get parts for the toilet tonight! Welp!

NuPenny is an art installation piece that actually doesn't DO anything except have lights that look a bit more impressive in the dark. I was sorely disappointed. Welp!